Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Who's the Stranger

I gave a lady from Tunisia a ride from one grocery store to another yesterday. I am not saying this to brag. She spoke very little English and no one seemed to understand her questions. The only word that any of the clerks or those of us standing around did understand was Publix. We were in Kroger.
Publix is about a block from Kroger and across a busy intersection. Aisha (I think, is her name) was on foot. She was confused by the language barrier. Someone in the store sent her to the Spanish speaking clerk as a way of being helpful. They tried.
After a little conversation with God, I offered her a ride to the store after the clerk rang up my groceries. Immediately after she accepted my ride, my mind went wild. "You have a headache. You want to get home. Your car is messy (always). You don't know her."
Really? She does not know me and yet, she accepted a ride from me. Would I accept a ride from her if the tables were turned? Would I allow myself to trust the human kindness? Would I?
I have no idea what I would do if I were in her situation but it is not likely, based on past decisions and experiences.
When immigrants come to our country, they choose to be here in unfamiliar surroundings, eating strange food, observing strange customs, and interacting with strange people. They put everything that they hold dear on hold for a dream of a safer place to live, a better economy, better schools, jobs, etc. They trust us. Imagine that.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Trust. Hmmm ... one of the most basic of human needs and one of the most fragile of human emotions.

nancy.johnson said...

Good for you, Cindy. I have to wonder if I would have the courage. It is a sad, but telling fact that we are sometimes wise to be wary of strangers. How do Christians navigate this dilemma? I'm glad you did it courageously.